Saturday, December 12, 2009

A little holiday cheer:)

For this month's cupcakes I decided to make one recipe sugar cookie, because let's face it, sugar cookies and Christmas go together!  I also decided to decorate and arrange these cupcakes to look like a Christmas tree.  So what should I put on a sugar cookie cupcake? A cookie of course!  I was thinking of using a sugar cookie, but then Mom brought home a plate of cookies from work and on that plate was a wonderful trip back to childhood!  Remember those pink and white circus animal cookies (crackers) with sprinkles on top? You know what I'm talking about right? Please tell me yes! If you need a refresher here is picture to jog your memory.

Yes, THOSE cookies, well these cookies were in the shape of a star and brought back those wonderful circus animal memories.  So I decided I wanted to replicate those cookies.  Mom said they were store bought, but I didn't find any at our local Wally World.  So my wonderful husband suggested shortbread cookies and I topped them with vanilla almond bark, and they are YUMMY!  So if you feel like making some grown up circus animal type cookies, give these a try!

I got the shortbread cookie recipe out of my mom's vintage cookie book by Betty Crocker.

1 1/4 cups butter softened
1/4 cup sugar (+ 1 TBS sugar, this is my addition and I think it's the perfect amount of sweetness!)
2 cups flour

Cream together butter and sugar until well blended.  Add in the flour and knead like bread dough.  Chill dough before rolling.  Roll and cut. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  The bottoms brown but the tops do not.  These cookies to not rise and do not change shape AT ALL!  I used a candy mold to make mine look like Christmas lights.

Let the cookies cool then cover in melted Vanilla Almond Bark and top with sprinkles.  Enjoy and let the memories flood back!




No comments:

Post a Comment