Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ideas for Mallory and Cameron's wedding cupcakes

Aunt Nikki, Mallory and Cameron,

I am honored that you would let me help with your wedding cupcakes.  Aunt Nikki, I know that you wanted to do the cupcakes for Mallory and Cameron, and if I'm taking over too much just tell me.  I want you to know that I'm only here to help, and I don't want you to feel that you have to frost cupcakes the day of your daughter's wedding! I think you will have much better things to do with your time, like enjoying being the Mother of the Bride:)  This is Mallory and Cameron's wedding, and I want to help make it everything they want, even if that means butting out;)  That being said I've been thinking quite a lot about what I could do to make the cupcakes special because I think that you two are special!  Here are some ideas I have for your wedding cupcakes.  If you just want to stick with what you have already come up with that is great too.  I just wanted to let you know what I've been thinking about. If there is anything else you would like me to try just say the word and send me a picture.  I'll do my very best to replicate it.

This is the first idea that I had, it's called a cupcake bouquet. (The following picture is one I found on the web, not mine, but I'll post mine right after it is finished.)





















Here is the second one I did.  I put some shimmer dust in the frosting to make the cupcakes pink which is an option (it's a dust so it shouldn't stain.) I can also add in fondant leaves like the second one, or almond bark leaves and/or butterflies like the first one.  Also note the frilly petals vs the smooth petals, I can easily do either, it's just a matter of how thick the frosting is. 

Now I have to admit that as of this moment, I don't know how to make a butter cream rose.  I plan on learning and making a sample of these this weekend so we'll see how it goes!  UPDATE!!!  I have now taught myself how to make a butter cream rose!  Here is the second one I made, and I'm getting better with every one I make.


If you like this idea, I will practice like crazy until I can do it!  We can also put the bouquet in any sort of container you want, it doesn't have to be a flower pot and they can also be larger to hold more cupcakes.  I have a crazy vision of 2 large cupcake bouquets on either side of a modest cupcake tower (only 3 tiers) with the large cupcake cake on top!

Here is another version of a rose:


I call these swirl roses as the concept of making them is similar to the large swirl you were already thinking of.  These tend to be a bit of a hit and miss from the pictures I have found, but again, if this is what you like I will practice until I get it right for you!





The other option is to place a fondant rose on the swirl of icing. I make my own fondant so it typically tastes like a marshmallow. I can also add any other flavoring that you desire as long as it comes in an extract such as strawberry or rootbeer.  This could add some color to the cupcakes with out them being as prone to staining.  I plan on letting Helen eat the one I made, after I take a picture of it, to see how messy she is to give you an idea of the mess factor, which I think is very very little as parents can always just take it off as well.  If you choose any of these options I can make them ahead of time and just bring them to KS with us.  It would look kinda like this: the first picture is off the web and the second picture is of two roses that I made without leaves. The one on the left is a replica of the rose in the picture on the left, the rose on the right is a more realistic rose, but if that is what you decide on I can buy a kit to make them really realistic.
 
This is one kind of rose I could do, I could also do what is called a rolled rose which looks like these:


And here is a picture of larger rolled roses on a wedding cake:


I made a rolled rose last night and here is a picture of it. 
I could also do a more realistic looking rose like this: (The picture below is from the web, my first try at it is above.)


Let me know what you think! Love you all!
-Angie

2 comments:

  1. How great post! I just loved these inspirations here. Keep sharing such details here. I also would be hosting the military themed 10th wedding anniversary and would like to book the prettiest event space NYC. I have got some ideas for décor but implementing those seems hard to me so I might hire the professional planner for that.

    ReplyDelete